Our friends at Hartington Creamery 'The smallest Stilton producer in the world', make the creamiest, tangiest and best artisan made Stilton Cheese. .
The history of Stilton can be traced back to the early 18th century and although it is clear that the recipe used has changed quite dramatically over the years it remains one of the world's best known and much loved cheeses. Quintessentially English, Stilton has its own Certification Trade Mark and is an EU Protected Food Name.
This means that:
- it can only be produced in the three Counties of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire
- it must be made from locally produced milk that has been pasteurised before use
- it can only be made in a cylindrical shape - it must be allowed to form its own coat or crust
- it must never be pressed and
- it must have the magical blue veins radiating from the centre of the cheese